Our Mission: Living God’s love through engagement, growth, and generosity.
Position Title: Youth Minister
Position Type: Part-time (~20 hours per week)
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Job Summary: Abiding Presence Lutheran Church in Fuquay-Varina is seeking a part-time (~20 hours per week) youth minister to create a welcoming community for middle school and high school youth and their families. The youth minister will be responsible for planning, developing, and leading a NEW youth group (grades 6th-12th), to help youth develop healthy spiritual relationships, grow in faith, and support the mission of the church by “Living God’s Love” as individuals, as a group, and as an important part of our community.
- Develop, plan and lead a NEW Youth Group (6th-12th grades). Activities could include but are not limited to regularly scheduled activities, faith studies, fundraising events and mission projects to provide opportunities for youth to grow in faith and discipleship.
- Prepare youth and adult leaders for overnight youth gatherings in the North Carolina Synod and for the National Youth Gathering. The youth minister also might serve as the primary adult leader for organizing and leading these trips.
- Encourage and help facilitate youth participation in regular worship leadership (acolyte, crucifer, reader, AV team, music, etc.), and in collaboration with the pastor develop, plan and lead an annual Youth Sunday.
- Recruit, train and support adult volunteers to serve in our youth ministries.
- Cultivate healthy and supportive relationships through direct involvement with youth and families.
- Develop multiple channels of communication for the youth ministry program (email distribution lists, Facebook page, website, etc.) to organize and publicize youth ministry and tell the story of our youth ministry activities.
- Meet regularly with the senior pastor and provide a monthly written summary report for youth ministry to the congregation council.
- Demonstrates excellent communication, organizational and leadership skills. Demonstrates flexibility, creativity, and the ability to be a self-starter.
- Demonstrates ability to share their own faith, and apply Christian beliefs to life situations of youth.
- Demonstrates an understanding APLC’s mission, values, and beliefs and can can teach them to others at different stages in their faith.
- Demonstrates ability to develop relationships with youth, parents/caregivers, other family members, to promote or help form a faith-based culture for living.
- Experience with middle and high school youth and youth ministry programming.
- Minimum two years college coursework or equivalent life experience after high school.
- Basic understanding of and appreciation for Lutheran Theology required.
- Continued study and growth in personal faith journey including participation in a faith community.
- Weekend hours for youth activities will be required. Occasional overnight events will be likely.
Interested candidates should email a resume and a letter of interest to email@example.com.