Abiding Presence Lutheran Church is a vibrant and growing congregation of the North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We are a congregation aiming to live by Faith, inviting all to be known by love and to be a voice of hope in the world. APLC has built a solid foundation in theologian Martin Luther. We aim to EMPOWER, ENRICH, and ENLIGHTEN our fellow humanity in His name without discrimination.
“Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it.”
– Hebrews 13: 1
- November 1990 – Pastor Craven Ford and family move to Fuquay-Varina to begin developing a new Lutheran congregation.
- March 21, 1991 – First interest meeting was held at the Fuquay-Varina Woman’s Club. Fifty-four people attended.
- April 24, 1991 – First weekly Bible Study began in the Ford home.
- May 5, 1991 – First worship service held at Fuquay-Varina High School with 166 attending.
- September 8, 1991 – The Charter of Abiding Presence Lutheran Church is opened for signatures. One hundred and three people sign on this date.
- October 18, 1992 – Date of organization of congregation.
- August 1994 – Pastor John Weinbach begins as pastor.
- July 1995 – The Congregation petitioned the Division of Outreach, ELCA, to build a church and was given approval.
- February 1997 – Groundbreaking for a new building.
- April 18, 1999 – Church building on Sunset Lake Road completed and dedicated.
- October 2000 – A.P.P.L.E. Seeds holds first class with six students.
- April 2002 – Pastor Jeffrey Ingold accepts call to Abiding Presence.
- December 2005 – God’s House of Rock dedicated as new Youth Building
- November 11, 2008 – Sanctuary and fellowship hall expansion completed
- October 2018 – Rev. Dr. Keith Copeland begins as the intentional interim pastor
- February 2020 – Pastor Kim Carlson is called as pastor.